This year for Andy's Birthday I gave him a coupon that said he could have a pie a month (that I would make for him). Last month was his actual birthday and I made him the traditional Banana Cream Pie (his favorite). So, I asked him a couple of days ago what kind he wanted this month and he chose Chocolate Cream. I actually haven't made chocolate cream from scratch before, in the past I just used chocolate pudding for the middle...so after doing some research of recipes I made a Chocolate Cream Pie from scratch today. I think I can call it my own recipe because I really didn't follow any recipe in particular, so in case you're in the mood for a rich dessert this weekend, here's the recipe:
1 (9inch) pie crust, baked
1 1/2 C White Sugar
1/4 C Cornstarch
1/2 t Salt
1/2 C Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
4 Egg Yolks (beaten)
3 C Milk
1-2 T Butter
1 T + 1 t Pure Vanilla
Bake Pie Shell* and have it cool before adding the Chocolate filling. In a large saucepan stir together Sugar, Cornstarch, Salt and Cocoa Powder, set aside. In a medium bowl blend the Milk and Egg Yolks; gradually stir into sugar/cocoa mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens & boils. Boil & stir 1 minute. Remove from heat; blend in the butter and vanilla. Press plastic wrap onto fillin in saucepan and cool to room temperature. Pour cooled filling into pie crust. Chill pie thoroughly before serving (about 2 hours). Top with Whip Cream and Enjoy! Yum!
*I use Martha Stewart's Pate Brisee recipe
1 comment:
Oh no!! If Kyle sees this I am in trouble. He loves pie and knows that Andy gets a pie every single year on his birthday. Rather than get in trouble I should just copy you for his 30th birthday in June. Great idea Amy. You are such an amazing wife.
Post a Comment