Pages

Friday, April 22, 2011

Good Friday

I drove Hope to school today. She was bringing her kindergarten teacher a Ziploc bag full of Amish Friendship Bread starter. As I was prepping the bag of liquid mush this morning, Josiah came into the kitchen and asked, "That's going to be bread?" I told him that we would add more ingredients and bake it and remember Jesus today. He interrupted before I could say more, "Oh I know about that story, how Jesus is bread." He then turned and left the kitchen. I smiled. I am glad Josiah knows the story. My prayer is that the story would get into his heart and it wouldn't just be head knowledge, but a heart knowledge which brings about life change. When we break our bread tonight at dinner we will re-visit the story of Jesus being the bread of life and talk about how Jesus offers us eternal life and sustains us spiritually.

On the drive home this morning, after dropping Hope off at school, Josiah said, "I see the cross Jesus died on." I asked, "You do?" Josiah pointed out of the car window and said, "Ya, it's right there." There it was. An old telephone pole (I think), ragged, forgotten, leaning to the side. I told Josiah that even though that wasn't the actual cross Jesus died on, it is good that it's there for us to remember. Remember His death on the cross. How Jesus, God's only Son, was a sacrifice for our sins. My sins. I have never noticed this old telephone pole before, or seen it in the way my son saw it this morning, but now I don't think I will ever drive by it again without looking at it and maybe even whispering up a thanks to my God in heaven for His Son, who gave His life for mine.

Last night Hope couldn't fall asleep and I suggested she remember some of her Bible verses and that would bring her peace and help her fall asleep. What a blessing to lay next to her and hear her repeating over and over again, "For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16.

Tonight we remember that love equals sacrifice!


(This piece was carved by my amazingly talented husband)

No comments: